Language learning is now in full swing! We are learning a lot, and while we still have a long way to go, it is exciting to be able to speak simple sentences to people that we meet. (It is even more exciting when they actually understand us!)
These aren't too pretty, but simple peanut butter cookies topped with a few M&M's from our stash have been a good, easy treat!
And there's always cereal! Our milk comes in rectangular cartons that you don't have to refrigerate until after opening. I haven't tried to drink a plain glassful, but it tastes fine with Corn Flakes or Honey Loops (the Cheerios equivalent that is actually good!).
Can't help but love his squoosh-faced hugs &
of course his CHEESE face! :)
It is a humbling experience to be such beginners in a language. Here I am with M studying my alphabet while he "studies" one of his own books. (Though lately he prefers to "study" on the iPad while we we study language!)
When we aren't in class, we are studying, spending time with M, continuing to settle in to our flat, and exploring our new community. Today, I just wanted to take a few minutes to let our photos tell the story of all that we've been up to these past couple of weeks.
We received our first package from my parents! I forgot to take a picture of all the fun stuff that was inside, but candy corn (for me!), Nutter Butter cookies & strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups (for K!), and toys, a T-shirt and new books (for M!) were a few of the highlights. Needless to say, we were all excited and blessed by these thoughtful gifts from home. We were also amazed that the mail service brought it right to our door! The best part was a recordable storybook for M, read by Mimi and Granddaddy. A few months ago, there was a great online sale for recordable storybooks, so I bought several and had them mailed to Alabama for our families to read and send throughout the year. M loves it and has already listened to it many, many times!
M and I are enjoying the fresh strawberries that are just now coming into season here.
And there's always cereal! Our milk comes in rectangular cartons that you don't have to refrigerate until after opening. I haven't tried to drink a plain glassful, but it tastes fine with Corn Flakes or Honey Loops (the Cheerios equivalent that is actually good!).
We have also continued doing a very informal preschool with M. Usually, he and I "do preschool" while Daddy's in language class, but one day this week, Daddy did it with him while I was in class! He is always excited to "make sumping." I also think that the fact that it's the only time he gets to color with markers and use glue has something to do with how much he enjoys it.
There are a few things I kind of wish I had brought with me (and a few things I might have left behind), but I have no regrets about bringing our photo books! Our new friends have loved looking at our wedding photos and M's baby pictures with us. It has also been a great way to practice language as we point out who each family member is using our new vocabulary.
Just when you start to think... hmm, this place isn't THAT different...
... you see two camels strolling along the road. When you realize that you're the only one on the street even giving them a second glance, you know for sure that you're a long way from Alabama. :)
Yesterday was an eventful afternoon all the way around. After my camel sighting, I headed home. Our elevator has been having lots of trouble, but I saw that it was working and thought "Why not?" The elevator (or "lift" as they call them here) jolted to a stop just a few feet shy of our floor. I was trapped with three other people (who, by the way, were much less surprised by this turn of the events than I was) for about 15 minutes before it started working again. Needless to say, I am finished with that elevator until it is totally fixed!
Yesterday morning, the three of us had breakfast out before doing some shopping. There is a neat little restaurant that serves American-style pancakes, waffles, eggs, etc. that is not too far from us. Good prices, too! Our breakfast was about $6.50 for the three of us.
| {Waiting on Mommy while I bought some art supplies} |
We are in the process of having cabinets built for our kitchen. Currently, there's a little storage under the counters but none above, so we are excited about being able to finally get our kitchen more organized!
After talking to the carpenter (who speaks zero English), we assumed that he would build them elsewhere and then come install them. Never assume! :) He showed up the next day with his supplies and began building them on our balcony. This has been good entertainment for M!
Thank you all for following our journey and for having patience with me as I try to find time to take pictures and blog amid everything else that's going on! We love and appreciate you all!
Can't help but love his squoosh-faced hugs &
Until next time,
K, B & M


















No comments:
Post a Comment
We would love to hear from you!