To our sweet S2:
You are nearly ten months old.
How can that be? It seems that just yesterday, we brought you home from the hospital as a tiny bright-eyed bundle... and that just yesterday, I was filled with joy (and anxiety) as your siblings crowded around to see and touch and love on you.
Was it yesterday that I listened with a sinking heart to M's preschool teacher tell me how he felt that I was so busy with you that I didn't love him anymore?
Was it yesterday that your big sister fought and fought her afternoon nap for over an hour before coming to lie on the floor beside you and falling asleep?
Those early days were tiring and raw and full, as our family shifted and changed to welcome you, and to find a new rhythm. But even in the hard moments, when we were trying to figure out how to stretch ourselves thinner than ever without snapping, those days were so, so sweet. You were a laid back, easy baby so much of the time... happy to eat and sleep and just be held. You brought - and still daily bring - such joy to each and every one of us!
You aren't that little newborn anymore, the one who slept like a rock through all your siblings' mayhem. No, over the past ten months, you have gotten so big... and so BUSY!
Since our return home, you have continued to change every day. You are quicker than ever. Your sweet toes bear blisters from lightning fast army crawls across unforgiving tile floors. You can get up and crawl on your knees now, but when you are in a hurry (like to get a piece of lint or a Lego before mama catches you), you fly, flat on your belly, across the floor.
Unlike your siblings, you never liked a pacifier. We didn't offer you one in the hospital because they are so looked down upon here, and by the time we got you home, you had already decided that you liked your fingers much better. For awhile, it was two of your middle fingers, but for the past several months you have been all about your thumb. And let me just say this: I may not think it's cute when you are in elementary school, but oh my heart, it is the most precious thing ever for now! It definitely has its pluses... no paci to lose, clean, or pop back into your mouth in the middle of the night. If you are hungry or sleepy, in goes the thumb. You are an amazing little self soother!
M and S1 have always loved to dance, and it looks like you do too! If you are pulled up on the couch and a song is playing, you bounce your whole body to the music, sometimes falling over in the process! And if you are with me in the kitchen when the music starts, you make a beeline out into the living room, headed straight for your Daddy. You LOVE for him to dance you around the room!
Now that you are so mobile, you are into everything - including their toys and books! They are both learning to keep their favorites up high. S1 has always been the little sister getting into things (and often she still is), but she is now experiencing the other side of that!
It is hard to believe that ten short months ago, we had never held you or kissed you or seen your smile. And it's even harder to remember what our lives were like without you in them!
I still have so much to learn about being a mama, but one thing I have learned is to savor these times. I have watched your siblings grow from babies to kids at lightning speed, and I know you're right behind them. Since your birth, I have tried to soak in each moment of your babyhood. I have held you longer, cuddled you closer, and stolen more kisses. And I have consciously breathed in that sweet baby smell at least once per day.
You, my daughter, are a treasure and a joy.
And we couldn't be more thankful to call you ours.
With all my love,
Mom




No comments:
Post a Comment
We would love to hear from you!