We would have praised Him no matter the outcome, but I am so excited and thankful to share the news of my Granddaddy's amazing recovery. Early this week, the doctor sent him to a nursing home, saying he'd probably never swallow again and that he would most likely continue to decline.
God put him in the hands of a group of enthusiastic and encouraging therapists, who saw his potential and dared to hope.
On Thursday, he was especially alert. He told us that there was nothing in this world that he wanted more than a cup of water. I teared up at those words, wondering if he'd ever get that simple wish again. His next swallow test was at 1 p.m. that day, and amazingly, he passed! Since then, he has continued to improve. He has walked up and down the halls with help from the therapists, and he is talking more and more. Sometimes he still gets confused, but he knows all of us and has lots to say. And his lovably ornery personality has returned! Today he told me he'd never been somewhere that they just didn't have ANYTHING that's fit to eat. (Since he's so new to swallowing again, his diet is limited to bland, mushy foods. I'm sure their regular menu is perfectly good!) He requested a Coca-Cola and didn't bother to hide his disgust when they brought him some clear Coke-flavored goo that he could eat with a spoon.
He still has many hurdles to overcome before he can even think about going home (though he talks about it every day!), but oh what a joy it is that he is living and breathing and swallowing! I am thankful for doctors and their knowledge, but I am even more thankful for the true Physician who sometimes surprises us all.

No comments:
Post a Comment
We would love to hear from you!